Thursday, January 3, 2013

108. Captain Lewis Reed



Now this is what I'm talking about!

One of my biggest complaints about life in general is that we're all so fleeting. I mean, get this: I ran into another John Galluzzo at Disney World a few weeks ago, from Buffalo, New York. His wife looked at me and said, "You LOOK like a Galluzzo," to which I replied, "I'm supposed to say that!" My point is that we're not unique, and we're just here for a blip on the grand scale of time. How many John Galluzzos will come and go without fanfare? When people come to visit us in our final resting places, will they have any idea whatsoever what we accomplished, what we contributed to the world, whether or not we had criminal records, whether we preferred crunchy or smooth peanut butter?
 
"Capt. Lewis Reed
1842-1925
1st Sergt. Co. G, 12 Regt.
Capt. Co. K, 54th Regt.
MASS VOL INFANTRY
CIVIL WAR
Served
April 28, 1861-Sept. 2, 1865"

Ok, so it probably takes a history geek like me to know this right off the top of my head, but this is the Fighting 54th! The all-African-American regiment that was made famous by the movie Glory! (The exclamation point is actually in the title, but I would have added it anyway). And get this - the 12th Massachusetts was headed by Daniel Webster's son Fletcher, who died in combat in 1862. And look at those dates! Reed, an East Abington boy (today's Rockland) signed up two weeks after the bombing of Fort Sumter amd remained in service five months after the war ended. Now that was a military career for the ages, to fight through the entire Civil War and come out the other end - and live for sixty more years to tell the tales.

But does it help me in my quest? Not likely that I'll be able to put anything like it on my tombstone. Not me, and no other John Galluzzo that I know (I know three: Buffalo John, my Uncle John and my cousin Johnny).

No comments:

Post a Comment