Wednesday, January 23, 2013

1718 and 1719. Robert and Theresa McNulty



Side by side, into eternity, as it should be. They left us with different thoughts, different words, different reflections.

Theresa went first, around 35 years old, far too young. But what words! "Where the world was cold, her love warmed it." What kinder thought could be shared by those who loved her? We should all strive to live up to such words of eternal remembrance.

Robert went relatively soon thereafter, around 44. He is remembered by two lines from Walt Whitman's poem "To a Stranger": "I am to wait, I do not doubt, I am to meet you again, I am to see it that I do not lose you." 

I'm choosing to read the words as being sent from Robert to Theresa, probably just for my own edification. The choice of words is perfect; the irony of the title of the poem is interesting. But, as we've already seen, couples live for fifty, seventy years together. How long did Robert and Theresa have? A decade? In some ways, they were still strangers to each other, robbed of long life together. But - I think, anyway - Robert's epitaph show that their time together was powerful and meaningful. I hope they've found each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment