Sunday, January 13, 2013

924. Robert T. Miller



I guess one thing I'll have to consider as I plan my final words is from whom they should come. I've seen plenty of examples of sentiments from the living to the departed, but only rarely have I come across someone who has left their own thoughts behind. I guess it's all in the timing. I'm glad I'm planning now.

I met the next six people in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Lansdale, Pennsylvania. I was down there to write a book, had an hour, found a cemetery to walk in. That's where I met Robert. Robert took steps. According to his headstone, he's still alive, and I hope that's the truth.

He put a simple sentiment on his stone: "I tried my best." Was that what his mother and father wanted him to do? Was that what they asked of him as a kid? "Just please do your best." Robert served in World War II as well, which, again, gets my respect, and means that he did more with his life than I have done with mine.

This one's in the running for me, or at least some variation of it. I don't want to steal it from Robert, but at least I can say it's something I strive to do every day.

2 comments: