Friday, April 12, 2013

12608. Kosty Ivanof


As I was walking back to my car, thinking I was done for the day, something funny caught my eye. It was, in fact, a full color photograph of a funny car.

There were two forces at work in my head. First, people put a lot of stuff on their tombstones, things that were passions during their lifetimes, but let's just say that not everybody who puts a Red Sox logo on their gravestone played for the Red Sox. Kosty, in my mind, could have been a funny car enthusiast.

But the dates seemed right. Funny cars emerged in the 1960s, and I remember having Matchbox funny cars as a kid in the '70s. Was it ABC's Wide World of Sports that occasionally ran races on TV at that time? I have vague memories of them. So, I took down the name, snapped the photo, noted the number on my clicker.

Yup, Kosty was the real deal, a racer from the '60s forward. The car on his stone is his nationally-famous "Boston Shaker," which came after his "Tuff Enuff" car. Kosty was the first New Englander to take home a national championship in the sport.

You learn something new every day, don't you? But I don't think this helps my quest. Nobody's going to want to see a picture of my 2006 Ford Fusion on my gravestone. Unless I win a national champhionship with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment